Thursday, September 27, 2012

Yom Kippur For Me

Yesterday I observed Yom Kippur like many Jews did. Starting at dusk, I fasted and I prayed. This is mandated (by God) and tradition by Jews.

As I prayed yesterday it really hit me. Not only was I concentrating on my own missed marks, my own faults and sins, I saw Israel as a whole and the world as a whole.  I truly realized how significant each persons actions and non actions touch the whole world....as the saying goes, one life can change the whole world.

My mistakes, my missteps, my faults, my sins have an impact on all of humanity. Not only that, on all of creation!  Think about it.

This is true for each one of us.  Teshuvah (repentance) means more than turning around your life, it means
that the world as a collective depends on you! Will you be true to God? Will you be true to yourself?
Will you be true to all of creation?

What you do, your action and your words do make a difference on a grand scale. These things affect your self, your family, those around you, strangers, and even those who live across the world.






No comments:

Post a Comment