Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pesach

Pesach is coming. On the Jewish calendar it is the 15th day of the month of Nisan and that means April 6th at sun down for 2012 (5772).

Observant Jews do not wait until the last day! Oh no! We start about a month before Pesach starts.

Spring cleaning you say? Well, no. Pesach isn't about spring cleaning. Pesach lasts for 8 days around the world but 7 days in Israel. Pesach means to "pass over", hence most call this time Passover.

The object of getting ready for this time is to clean all the chametz out of the home.  That means to get rid of any yeast/leaven from the home which includes any kind of food that has been made with leaven and corn, popcorn, rice or anything that rises. Nothing with leaven can be eaten in these 8 days but instead meat, dairy, vegetables, and fruit or any kind of product that is not made with yeast/leaven such as matzos (a special wafer   that is made of flour but no yeast).

The Biblical story of the Exodus tells us that when the Israelites were finally allowed to leave Egypt, they had to leave in haste and their bread had no time to rise.  Also, getting the chametz out of the home symbolizes for us to purify ourselves and be Holy like God has commanded us to do. In other words, get the sin out and teshuvah (repent).

The story is not just something that we read about in the past but it is also to be reflected on for ourselves, each individual and how we trust in God through trying times, desert times.

The home is prepared starting a month ahead by cleaning and organizing. Getting the "sin out" can take time in many of us! I start by making a list of what to do and what to buy. From there I start checking on the proper untensils and plates, for special cooking ware and dishes are to be used that never touched chametz.

Just days before Pesach, I clean like crazy and down to the last hour, I make sure that no chametz is in the home, checking curtains, cupboards, coat pockets, purses, and even cleaning out the car!
I also like to go over recipes and find new things to have for snacks and dinners. Matzo pizza is really good!

To learn more about Pesach, visit: http://www.jewfaq.org/holidaya.htm


My Pesach Experiences:

I do recall one time I thought I would be really frugal and make my own matzah. Not a good idea! I think I will stick to the grocery store Kosher for Passover!
I did a puppet play (the story of the Exodus) with my two daughters one year. That was fun.
I sew my own afikomen cloth and decorate....that is fun, too.
I watch craft videos to come up with new and fun ideas.
Pesach is wonderful when you celebrate it with family and friends!
Beautiful flower arrangements makes Pesach bright and cheery.
Don't forget the music! If you have a musician in your group, don't forget to play Dayenu!

After the Israelites left Egypt, God had a very important proposition for them. Something that would change the world forever. This was the Commandments.  Moses was summoned by God to meet with Him atop Mt. Sinai and so it was and Moses presented God's Commandments to the people below Mt. Sinai.  The people accepted and they became the light unto the nations.

A reality of the story is about freedom. As you probably know, the Israelites were slaves in Egypt and God heard their cries, Moses was the man to take on the task and the Israelites were finally given their freedom.
To be free isn't an easy venture. It takes time, effort, and most often sacrifice and loss of lives. Yes, for the Israelites, to gain freedom was hard work and lives were lost when they entered their promised land.

So, today in my land where I reside, a country that is "free". America is a land of the free but losing hold on certain liberties. Our Constitution is being attacked by those who believe in an evil ideology called communism. This Pesach I feel that I need to reflect on not just myself and my deserts that I have had to endure but I would like to think and pray for America and Israel both, for freedom is precious and a blessing from God.

Happy Passover,  Chag Pesach Same'ach.


Matzo Pizza:

Matzo Kosher for Passover big crackers, no salt.

Kosher for Passover tomato pizza sauce

Kosher for Passover cheese

Veggies including olives/pre cooked if need be.

Cracker, sauce, cheese- shredded, and veggies spread out on cracker on baking sheet, bake until cheese is melted.

NOTE: This year, 2012, Pesach begins at dusk on Shabbat (Sabbath).

No comments:

Post a Comment