Wednesday, March 21, 2012

When Tragedy Strikes

All of us have had some kind of tragedy in our lives, whether it is loss of someone close to us or a loss of our lively hood. The true test of such matters is in how we respond. Do we lean on God more or do we part ways in believing in Him who has created us?  I can tell you that I have had my share of losses. A sister of mine took her own life and a best friend of mine took her own life, too. I lost my parents, one from illness and the other simply because it was her time. The pain is tremendous but some how we muster ourselves to continue on.

The deaths of the Rabbi and the children in Toulouse, France was horrific. Gunned down by an Islam terrorist who hates Jews. Senseless murder of children and a Rabbi. There are truly evil people that live in this world and evil can come at any time to anybody, in whatever form. How sad it is to read that this murderer not only succeeded in taking the lives of innocent people but also took away the faith of the children's great aunt, who proclaimed that she lost faith in God from this tragedy.

It is natural in our anguish and despair to turn away from God and we ask, "how could God allow this to happen?" After certain events happened in my life, I too, asked the "whys". I set out on a quest to find something to help me understand and I admit, I found no concrete answers. Some tell us that this is karma, some say that we have to work on learning what we need to learn. These reasons do not console but just bring up more questions. Did Daniel Perl do something so horrific to deserve having his head barbarically cut off? There are mysteries that are hidden and I suppose that only when we enter into the other side of life will we know the reasons, the whys.

My heart goes out to the families that experience tragedies and it would be safe to say that my heart goes out to everyone on earth.

The best thing that I can think of to tell you is that we need to be there for each other. Helping in whatever way that we can. Tragedy will strike, it's as sure as the seasons will change. This is life on earth and either we react by leaning on God more or we can fail ourselves by believing that God doesn't care.

My advice to those who have lost and are full of anguish, stay close to God more than ever and keep close to family and friends. No matter how you feel and what you may think, closing doors to others who care about you will not do anyone any bit of good. If all seems futile, contact professionals that can help.


No comments:

Post a Comment