Sunday, March 4, 2012

Purim

Purim starts pretty soon! The story of Esther is celebrated. The story of how a queen, a queen who was Jewish, saved her people from annihilation. Maybe you have read the story in the Bible. Maybe you have wondered why
the Jewish people celebrate this day. In modern times, the Jews are to "bring to life" certain observances in order to reflect on who they are personally and what they endure. For instance, at the time of the Exodus from Egypt, wandering in the desert....can we relate to how our own personal life is to this event? Has there been a "desert" in your life? What did you experience and how did it help you become closer to God? So too, with the story of Esther. Has there been a time in your life or perhaps many times in your life that you felt that you were against some type of adversity? How did you over come it and did it help you come closer to God?

Queen Esther had learned that the evil Haman had evil plans for the Jewish people. With help from her uncle who raised her (Mordechai), they over came this sinister enemy and saved the Jewish people.

I have had many obstacles and trials to over come in my life time. But even though it seemed like God wasn't there with me, He really was. When I look back at a lot of what I went through, I understand the why's. Not all the time do I understand, but many experiences I do understand. I celebrate the Story of Esther, Purim, for I know God is with me and yes, like the saying goes, "there is a reason for everything".

No comments:

Post a Comment